“Enough little cascades of empowerment are all you need to create a Niagara Falls of inspiration, productivity and innovation.” – Misti Burmeister
There are at least 40 working hours a week. If you commit to performing a simple empowering action just three times each day, by the end of the month, you`ll have created a cascade of ownership, team work, accountability and innovation.
Here are some ideas to get you started, most of which you can accomplish in less than 15 minutes:
- Send a personal, handwritten thank-you note to an employee who has gone above and beyond.
- Write an e-mail about how someone on your team is demonstrating excellence. Send the e-mail to that person and copy the CEO and/or the rest of your team.
- Research and share an interesting, short article that’s relevant to the work your team is doing and from which they can learn something.
- Introduce an outstanding employee to someone influential (another employee, department head, client or leader). Make connections where both people can benefit.
- Bring an employee to a board meeting, charity event or client meeting.
- Read a chapter of a leadership, business or other personal-development book.
- Record a video that teaches your employees how to do something that would help them with their careers or work (like creating a filing system, how to use PowerPoint or other helpful software, setting up a killer LinkedIn profile, or something specific to your industry or their jobs).
- Share a story with your team about a mistake you made, and tell how you used what you learned from that experience to bounce back.
- Go for a 10-minute walk each day, and spend that time thinking about innovative ideas you can share with your team.
- Alter something about your usual routine and record how doing so changes your results.
- Rally your team to help a non-profit in a significant way.
- Learn something new about one of your employees or co-workers.
Pick a few and get started today. (Note: Start small. If you try to do them all in one day, you’re likely to end up strangling your team, rather than empowering them.)
Enough little cascades of empowerment are all you need to create a Niagara Falls of inspiration, productivity and innovation.
Keeping it simple,
Misti Burmeister, best-selling author of From Boomers to Bloggers: Success Strategies Across Generations and Hidden Heroes.