The opportunity is before us… Leadership is needed NOW more than ever.
A senior vice president of HR shared about a meeting she had with her executive team yesterday…
“Misti, everybody was sitting around the table looking at each other, unsure what to do. Finally, I stood up and said who is ‘quarterbacking’ this?”
Nobody said anything, and so she stepped up and is now leading the entire organization through this challenging time. The opportunities that will arise as a result of her leadership are remarkable. Everyone within the organization is looking to her for guidance, AND they’re stepping up to take on roles they would have never had before the Coronavirus.
Right now is the time to pick Yourself, step up, and lead your colleagues, team, community through this challenging time. Here’s how:
- Stay Calm and Focused. Use a meditation (Calm is excellent), go for hikes/walks in nature, and stay centered.
- Be Adaptable. This is a new normal. Accept it, and adapt NOW.
- Be Adjustable. Adjust your expectations, and adjust to their capabilities.
- Be an Active Listener. Give your team a chance to ventilate their fears, and encourage finding the humor in our humanity.
- Over Communicate. With fear at such high levels, they aren’t Hearing everything you’re saying. Keep communicating! Share what you know, along with what you don’t know.
Do these five things Every Day. Step up, stand out, support and encourage everyone around you, and watch as your ability to influence change (i.e. lead) creates momentum for your career in the long term.
Here’s to Your Greatness,
Misti Burmeister has been solving people problems and empowering leaders for nearly 20 years, increasing engagement and productivity across generations. Help your team reach its highest potential at https://MistiBurmeister.com